Skip to main content
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
Sign In

Letter of Understanding # 10 Northern Trips

​​Master Agreement Between the Government of the Province of Alberta and the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees​​​



(The Employer)

- and -

(The Union)​

​The Parties agree:


Permanent and Temporary Employees who are employed and reside in locations north of the 57th parallel are eligible for up to two (2) Employer paid return trips from their home location to Calgary (or an alternate urban location between their location and Calgary). Reimbursement and payment of costs shall be treated as a taxable benefit.​​


​Permanent and Temporary Employees on a leave of absence are not entitled to the Northern Trips during the period of their leave.


​A Temporary Employee must have a minimum of a one year term in each year to qualify for two return trips. For a term of less than one year their ministry may provide one return trip.​​


​The Employer will pay the cost of a return trip from their home location to Calgary (or alternate urban location) for the Employee and their eligible dependent(s). An eligible dependent is one who meets the definition in the group benefit plans. The Employee must accompany their eligible dependent(s) on the trip. The Employee will be allowed to use one trip to bring an eligible dependent to the northern residence; in this instance Employees are not required to accompany their eligible dependent on the trip.​


​The Employee may utilize one of four options for the trip:


​Commercial airline, en​​suring the most economical and advanced booking rates are requested; or


​Personal private vehicle; or


​Other modes of commercial transportation (e.g. bus, rail, etc.). 


​If the employee chooses personal vehicle (option 5 (b) above) the reimbursement will be in accordance with the Other Use of Private Vehicle rate in Appendix A of the Travel, Meal and Hospitality Expenses Directive.​


​Scheduling of trips is subject to operational requirements and employees must receive prior approval from their supervisor.


​The trip(s) must be taken by December 31 of each calendar year. Trips not taken by the end of the calendar year will not be carried over into the next year and are forfeited.  

​​Dated this 27th day of January, 2022.

On this page:

Back to top